Brain wars : the scientific battle over the existence of the mind and the proof that will change the way we live our lives /Material type: BookPublisher: New York : HarperOne, 2012Edition: 1st ed.Description: 250 p. ; 25 cm.ISBN: 9780062071569 (hardback) :; 0062071564 (hardback).Title notes: $26.99 1-2013 (db)Subject(s): Mind-brain identity theory | Brain
|Item type||Home library||Collection||Shelving location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Books||Altadena Main Library||Adult Collection||Adult NonFiction||128.2 BEA||Available||39270002925869|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
<p>In Brain Wars, acclaimed neuroscientist Mario Beauregard reveals compelling new evidence set to provoke a major shift in our understanding of the mind-body debate: research showing that the mind and consciousness are transmitted and filtered through the brain--but are not generated by it.</p> <p>Following his boundary-breaking neuroscience book The Spiritual Brain: A Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul, coauthored with Denyse O'Leary, Brain Wars makes a powerful and provocative case against the widely held view equating human beings to complex biological computers.</p> <p>Like Jeffrey M. Schwartz, Beauregard believes that consciousness is more than simply a physical process that takes place in the brain. And here, he presents the evidence to prove it. Brain Wars will revolutionize the way we think about thinking forever.<br></p>
$26.99 1-2013 (db)
Includes bibliographical references (p. 217-239) and index.
A "computer made of meat?" : materialism and the mind-brain problem -- The power of belief to cure or kill : the placebo/nocebo effect -- Brain control : neurofeedback -- Train your mind, transform your brain : neuroplasticity -- Surfing the psychosomatic network : the intimate connection of mind and body -- The mind force within : hypnosis -- Beyond space and time : psi -- Mind out of body : mind, brain, and near-death experiences -- Embracing a greater self : mystical experiences -- A great shift in consciousness.
Filled with the latest scientific research and stories of the mind's abilities, a prominent neuroscientist, capturing a major shift in our understanding of the age-old mind/body debate, proves that humans are more than complex biological machines.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Introduction: A "Computer Made of Meat?" Materialism and the Mind-Brain Problem (p. 1)
- 1 The Power of Belief to Cure or Kill: The Placebo/Nocebo Effect (p. 17)
- 2 Brain Control: Neurofeedback (p. 43)
- 3 Train Your Mind, Transform Your Brain: Neuroplasticity (p. 65)
- 4 Surfing the Psychosomatic Network: The Intimate Connection of Mind and Body (p. 89)
- 5 The Mind Force Within: Hypnosis (p. 109)
- 6 Beyond Space and Time: Psi (p. 133)
- 7 Mind Out of Body: Mind, Brain, and Near-Death Experiences (p. 157)
- 8 Embracing a Greater Self: Mystical Experiences (p. 183)
- Conclusion: A Great Shift in Consciousness (p. 207)
- Acknowledgments (p. 215)
- Notes (p. 217)
- Index (p. 241)