Fitness illustrated /
by Sharkey, Brian J.Material type: BookPublisher: Champaign, Ill. : Human Kinetics, c2011Description: xi, 315 p. : col. ill. ; 26 cm.ISBN: 9780736081580 (soft cover) :; 0736081585 (soft cover).Title notes: $21.95 prolam 4-2011 (db)Subject(s): Physical fitness | Aerobic exercises
|Item type||Home library||Collection||Shelving location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Books||Altadena Main Library||Adult Collection||Adult NonFiction||613.7 SHA (Browse shelf)||Missing||39270003507856|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
Tired of the same old fitness advice? You know the drill: Eat less, exercise more, and life will be grand. Sounds easy enough, so why don't the results follow? And most of all, what can you do to achieve your fitness goals?
Fitness Illustrated allows you to see exercise and activity from a whole new perspective. In this one-of-a-kind guide, author Brian Sharkey takes you inside each type of activity to show you what works, what doesn't, and why! You'll go beyond the basics to see how your body changes with increased activity. From how muscles gain size and strength to the effect of aerobic activity on heart and lung function, this is fitness as you have never seen it before.
Straightforward explanations, expert advice, and hundreds of full-color illustrations and photographs make Fitness Illustrated your guide to these matters:
* Improving aerobic fitness, strength, muscular endurance, and flexibility
* Shaping and toning your body, including your core
* Coping with various health issues such as arthritis and preventing heart disease
* Managing weight with nutrition and activity
* Preventing and treating injuries, muscle cramps, and joint pain
You'll also learn to separate fitness fact from fiction, design fitness programs around the activities that you enjoy, and reduce stress and add life to your years.
Whether you want to complete a 5K run, manage your weight, or improve muscle tone and definition, Fitness Illustrated is your personalized map for reaching your fitness goals!
$21.95 prolam 4-2011 (db)
Includes bibliographical references (p. 308-309) and index.
Activity and fitness -- Understanding aerobic fitness -- Aerobic fitness training -- Aerobic programs -- Understanding muscular fitness -- Muscular fitness training -- Muscular programs -- Nutrition and weight control -- Health issues and exercise tips -- Fitness facts and fallacies -- Vitality and longevity.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Preface (p. vi)
- Acknowledgments (p. vii)
- Credits (p. viii)
- 1 Activity and Fitness (p. 1)
- Why Get Fit?
- 2 Understanding Aerobic Fitness (p. 15)
- O 2 and You
- 3 Aerobic Fitness Training (p. 41)
- A Gentle Pastime
- 4 Aerobic Programs (p. 65)
- Have It Your Way
- 5 Understanding Muscular Fitness (p. 95)
- Strength and Endurance
- 6 Muscular Fitness Training (p. 123)
- Shape Yourself
- 7 Muscular Programs (p. 149)
- Designed for You
- 8 Nutrition and Weight Control (p. 191)
- Eat to Live
- 9 Health Issues and exercise Tips (p. 233)
- Overcoming Hurdles
- 10 Fitness Facts and Fallacies (p. 259)
- What's the Truth?
- 11 Vitality and Longevity (p. 281)
- Add Life to Your Years
- Appendix: Energy Expenditure Chart (p. 304)
- Bibliography (p. 308)
- Index (p. 310)
- About the Author (p. 315)