Heaven and the afterlife /Material type: BookPublisher: Minneapolis, Minn. : Bethany House, c2009Description: 270 p. : ill ; 22 cm.ISBN: 9780764205767 (pbk. : alk. paper) :; 0764205765 (pbk. : alk. paper).Title notes: $13.99 prolam 9-2009 (db)Subject(s): Future life -- Christianity
|Item type||Home library||Collection||Shelving location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Books||Altadena Main Library||Adult Collection||Adult NonFiction||263.2 GAR||Available||39270003185059|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
This book taps into popular culture's insatiable appetite for the supernatural. Written in a popular style, Heaven and the Afterlife touches on many topics related to life after death, including amazing near-death experiences, accounts from the Bible, testimonies, theories, and what some of the world's religions believe. It will demystify the afterlife with information about heaven, hell, ghosts, angels, near-death experiences, and much more, helping readers gain a solid understanding of the often-confusing subject of life after death. The book culminates by presenting Jesus as the answer to eternal peace and how readers can spend eternity with him. Garlow and Wall write not only for believers, but also for seekers or anyone looking for straight, simple answers to the fascinating subject of the world beyond this life.
$13.99 prolam 9-2009 (db)
"What happens the second we die? If heaven is a real place, who will live there? If hell exists, where is it located? what do near-death experiences mean? And more-- "--Cover.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -270).
Through death's door. The undiscovered country ; There-- and back again ; Hints at the Hereafter ; A taste of torment -- What lies between worlds. Things that go bump in the night ; Grace-filled guests ; Calling long distance ; Angels among us ; More than a pitchfork and a pointy fail ; Demons in the dark -- Crossing over : the upward call. A delightful detour ; A rewarding experience ; Beyond halos, harps, and hymns -- Crossing over : the dark descent. Going from bad to worse ; Called to account ; The heat is on -- Hell-avoiding strategies. The ultimate escape hatch ; Disappearing acts ; The celestial waiting room ; Recycling plan -- Confident before the King. Forever and ever, amen.
"A comprehensive and straightforward exploration of beliefs about heaven, hell, and what happens when people die, written from a Christian perspective"--Provided by publisher.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Part 1 Through Death's Door
- 1 The Undiscovered Country (p. 13)
- The Veil Between Life and the Afterlife Is Thinner Than We Think
- 2 There...and Back Again (p. 23)
- The Near-Death Experience: A Miracle of Modern Medicine
- 3 Hints at the Hereafter (p. 32)
- For Most People, "Near Death" Is a Doorway to Indescribable Light and Love
- 4 A Taste of Torment (p. 42)
- Not All Roads After Life Lead to the Light
- Part 2 What Lies Between Worlds
- 5 Things That Go Bump in the Night (p. 57)
- Yes, Virginia, There Really Could Be a Ghost in the Attic
- 6 Grace-Filled Guests (p. 70)
- A Visitation From a Deceased Loved One Is a Gift to Be Accepted Gratefully
- 7 Calling Long Distance (p. 80)
- Death May Be the Last Word in Life...But Can Communication Continue?
- 8 Angels Among Us (p. 92)
- God's Messengers Provide Protection and Provision
- 9 More Than a Pitchfork and a Pointy Tail (p. 105)
- The Great Adversary, Satan, Prowls Like a Hungry Lion
- 10 Demons in the Dark (p. 116)
- Emissaries of Evil Bring Chaos and Confusion
- Part 3 Crossing Over: The Upward Call
- 11 A Delightful Detour (p. 133)
- The First Heaven Is a Temporary Stopover Before Permanent Paradise
- 12 A Rewarding Experience (p. 145)
- God's Children Have Nothing to Fear of Judgment Day
- 13 Beyond Halos, Harps, and Hymns (p. 155)
- Permanent Heaven Is a Place of Riches, Rest, and Rewards
- Part 4 Crossing Over: The Dark Descent
- 14 Going From Bad to Worse (p. 171)
- Hades Is a "Horrible Holding Tank" for Those Awaiting a Final, Fiery Destination
- 15 Called to Account (p. 181)
- The Great White Throne of Judgment-Where Punishment Is Handed Out
- 16 The Heat Is On (p. 189)
- Hell Is an Indescribable Punishment for Those Who Reject Salvation
- Part 5 Hell-Avoidance Strategies
- 17 The Ultimate Escape Hatch (p. 203)
- Universalism Suggests That All Will Be Saved in the End
- 18 Disappearing Acts (p. 213)
- Annihilationism Proposes That Those Without Faith Will Cease to Exist
- 19 The Celestial Waiting Room (p. 221)
- Is Purgatory Really a Stopover on the Way to Heaven?
- 20 Recycling Plan (p. 232)
- If Millions of People Believe in Reincarnation, Could There Be Something to It?
- Part 6 Confident Before the King
- 21 Forever and Ever, Amen (p. 245)
- God Wants You to Be Comfortable With Him in This World and the Next
- Notes (p. 258)