Negro league baseball : the rise and ruin of a Black institution /
by Lanctot, Neil.Material type: BookPublisher: Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, c2004Description: xi, 496 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.ISBN: 0812238079 (cloth : alk. paper) :; 9780812238075 (cloth : alk. paper).Title notes: $34.95 2-2007 (db)Subject(s): Negro leagues -- History | Baseball -- United States -- History
|Item type||Home library||Collection||Shelving location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Books||Altadena Main Library||Adult Collection||Adult NonFiction||796.31 LAN (Browse shelf)||Available||39270002839367|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
A detailed history of professional black baseball traces the history of the Negro Leagues, drawing on interviews with former players, and research into surviving financial, legal, and government records to reconstruct the league's institutional history and to explore the impact of the gradual moveme
$34.95 2-2007 (db)
Includes bibliographical references (p. -478) and index.
A fragile industry and a struggling community -- External threats and internal dissension -- Growing pains -- A new beginning -- An industry transformed -- Life inside a changing industry -- On the outside looking in -- Breakthrough and setback -- Integration and the changing postwar world -- "The golden era has passed" -- The end of a business.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Part I Separate But Equal?
- Chapter 1 A Fragile Industry and a Struggling Community
- Chapter 2 External Threats and Internal Dissension
- Chapter 3 Growing Pains
- Chapter 4 A New Beginning
- Chapter 5 An Industry Transformed
- Chapter 6 Life Inside a Changing Industry
- Part II Integration
- Chapter 7 On the Outside Looking In
- Chapter 8 Breakthrough and Setback
- Chapter 9 Integration and the Changing Postwar World
- Chapter 10 ""The Golden Era Has Passed""
- Chapter 11 The End of a Business List of A